Diabetic Diet need not to be a complete deviation from normal diet. The nutritional requirements of a diabetic are as same as in the non diabetic. The diet should provide 60 – 65 % carbs, 15 – 25 % fat & rest from protein. The diet should be a tailor made to the individual based on the age, sex, weight, height, physical activity, & physiological needs of the patient-Ultimate Diet Clinic, Diabetic diet Noida.
BOTH DIETITIAN & DOCTOR HAVE A ROLE IN THE DIETARY MANAGEMENT OF DIABETES.
- CALORIES- The recommended calorie intake for diabetic is based on body weight. That is, if person is overweight- 20 kcal / kg.wt./day. If person is of ideal body weight- 30 kcal / kg.wt. / day. If person is underweight- 40 kcal / kg.wt./day
- PROTEINS- the RDA for protein is 1gms / kg body weight. Proteins from vegetable sources are better than from animal sources as they do not contain cholesterol & also add fibre to the diet.
- FAT- Diabetics can take 20 gms visible fat / day
- VITAMINS & MINERALS- Diabetics, during infections & other complications may require higher amounts of vit.& minerals in the form of supplements.
- DIETARY FIBRE – Intake of 25 gms of dietary fibre per 1000 calories is considered to be optimum for a diabetic.
1-FOODS THAT CAN BE USED FREELY
- Green leafy vegetables
- High fibre foods
2-FOODS THAT CAN BE USED IN MODERATE AMOUNTS
- Milk products
- Meat products
- Artificial sweeteners
- Jam & jellies
- Cakes & pastries
- Sweetened juices & soft drinks
IN BRIEF, DIABETICS SHOULD
- AVOID SWEETS
- USE FATS IN LIMITED AMOUNT
- TAKE CEREALS & PULSES IN RIGHT AMOUNT
- INCLUDE HIGH FIBRE FOODS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
- TAKE VEGETABLES AS DESIRED
- TAKE PERMITTED FRUITS IN LIMITED AMOUNTS
WRONG BELIEFS – There is a common belief that diabetics can eat wheat but not rice. That is not true. Both wheat & rice have almost similar glycaemic index & raise the blood sugar to a similar extent. Therefore, it should not matter whether one takes wheat or rice, as long as the total quantity is restricted.
I WANT TO SUM UP MY ARTICLE WITH SOME POINTS…..
- HIGH CARBOHYDRATES & HIGH FIBRE DIETS ARE BENEFICIAL N THE CONTROL OF BLOOD SUGAR & SERUM LIPIDS
- OBESE DIABETICS SHOULD REDUCE BODY WEIGHT BY EXERCISE & DIETARY MEANS.
- THE DIABETICS SHOULD AVOID ALCOHOL
- DIABETICS CAN USE ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS INSTEAD OF SUGAR IN BEVERAGES
- REGULAR EXERCISE SHOULD BE AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE DAILY ROUTINE OF THE DIABETICS.
- A DIABETICS SHOULD TAKE DRUGS REGULARLY AS ADVICED BY THE DOCTORS.
- DURING ILLNESS ONE SHOULD TAKE REST, ADEQUATE DIET & THE DRUGS PRESCRIBED.