Balanced Diet : Overeating should be avoided to prevent overweight and obesity. Proper physical activity & balanced diet is essential to maintain desirable body weight
- Obesity defined as excess accumulation of body fat.
- Obesity had several adverse health effects & can even lead to premature death.
- It increases the risk of HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, HIGH BLOOD CHOLESTEROL & TRIGLYCERIDES, HEART DISEASE, DIABETES, GALLSTONES & CERTAIN CANCERS.
Overweight and obesity are due to Positive Energy Balance, i.e the intake of calories is more than the expenditure of calories.Overeating & reduced physical activity together lead to Obesity. Therefore prevention & control of obesity are directly related to dietary management and physical activity.
There are many ways to assess your body weight But most common is BMI, i.e. ( BODY MASS INDEX)
Its calculate based on ratio of weight & height,which estimates total body mass & correlates highly with the amount of fat.
Now let’s come to OBESITY, WHAT DOES IT MEAN ??
Definition of obesity is based on the degree of excess fat.
Normal BMI ranges between 18.5 – 25.
A BMI value less than 18.5 denotes chronic under-nutrition ,while that between 25 – 30 is considered overweight & values above 30 indicate OBESITY.
Why should we avoid OBESITY ?
There are several health consequences of OBESITY. As discussed earlier in my article, Excessive body weight increases the risk of heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, gallstones,cancer & arthritis.therefore it is very important to maintain desirable body weight for height & avoid OBESITY.
CAUSES OF OBESITY
- GENETIC FACTORS
- AGE SEX
- EATING HABIT
- LESS PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- ENDOCRINE FACTORS
HOW TO REDUCE BODY WEIGHT ?
There is no single dietary regimen for weight reduction. Weight loosing regimen should be gradual. Weight reduction diets should contain at least 800 Kcal / day & provide all nutrient requirements, except energy. Loss of half kg per weak generally considered safe. Extreme approaches should be avoided & use of drugs may be dangerous. In children, OBESITY should be controlled by increasing physical activity & very little restrictions in food intake.Weight reducing diets should limit the fat intake. Refined sugars & alcohol provide empty calories & should be avoided.
Plant foods that provide complex carbohydrates & fibre may be preferred as they reduce blood glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Weight reducing diets must be rich in proteins and low in carbohydrates & fats.
- Consumption of plenty of fruits and vegetables would not only result in satiety but could also help to maintain adequate micronutrient intake.
- Slow & steady reduction in body weight is advised.
- Severe fasting may lead to health hazards.
- Enjoy the variety of foods in amounts needed to balance your physical activity.
- Eat small meals regularly at frequent intervals.
- Cut down on sugar , fatty foods & alcohol.
- Use low fat milk.
TIPS FOR GOOD HEALTH
- EXERCISE REGULARLY & FOLLOW A BALANCED DIET
- AVOID SMOKING, CHEWING OF TOBACCO & CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL.
- CHECK REGULARLY FOR BLOOD GLUCOSE, LIPIDS & BLOOD PRESSURE AFTER THE AGE OF 30 YEARS.
- AVOID SELF MEDICATION.
- ADOPT STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES (YOGA AND MEDITATION).